IoT6 European research project
IoT6 is a 3 years FP7 European research project on the future Internet of Things. It aims at exploiting the potential of IPv6 and related standards (6LoWPAN, CORE, COAP, etc.) to overcome current shortcomings and fragmentation of the Internet of Things. Its main challenges and objectives are to research, design and develop a highly scalable IPv6-based Service-Oriented Architecture to achieve interoperability, mobility, cloud computing integration and intelligence distribution among heterogeneous smart things components, applications and services. Its potential will be researched by exploring innovative forms of interactions such as:
- Information and intelligence distribution.
- Multi-protocol interoperability with and among heterogeneous devices.
- Device mobility and mobile phone networks integration, to provide ubiquitous access and seamless communication.
- Cloud computing integration with Software as a Service (SaaS).
- IPv6 - Smart Things Information Services (STIS) innovative interactions.
The main outcomes of IoT6 are recommendations on IPv6 features exploitation for the Internet of Things and an open and well-defined IPv6-based Service Oriented Architecture enabling interoperability, mobility, cloud computing and intelligence distribution among heterogeneous smart things components, applications and services,- including with business processes management tools.